Picture

Picture

Thursday, March 30, 2017

How to avoid falling into despair.

I know who God is. I know his mercy. I know his love. I know his justice. I find security and comfort in the Lord and his presence although I don't always experience each of his attributes consciously. 

2 Samuel 22:1-4 And David spoke to the Lord the words of this song on the day when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. He said, 'The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

What I mean is this: I trust in who the Lord is. I focus on his wonderful attributes. I don't, however, always feel the effects of the Lord's goodness. My feelings often betray me. Sometimes I even get stuck in despair. 

What does this mean? It simply means I am human, therefore I am susceptible to temptation. My vision and experience does not always line up with reality. 

In truth, I am eternally secure. I am forgiven totally. I am redeemed. I am restored and made new. I am free from sin. I am a beloved child of God.

Sometimes I feel trapped. Sometimes I feel like a failure. Sometimes I anxiety overtakes my mood. Sometimes I feel worthless. 

This requires an active, consistent, and persistent focus on the presence of God almighty. I need to meditate on who he is and what he says about me. I have to remind myself day by day and moment by moment that I belong to him and he is the sovereign King of Kings and Lord of Lord. When I stay focused on his word I find myself resting in the beauty of his presence. 

Taken from reading 2 Samuel 21-24

No comments:

Post a Comment