Picture

Picture

Friday, March 17, 2017

Love one another

God's people have to start loving each other the way Jesus loved his disciples. He cared for them. He washed their feet. He laid down his life for them. He taught them, led them, and cared for them.

Our reality looks far different.

Church life, in many cases, looks more like attending an event rather than engaging with the family. This is not good. We need relationships, truth, and prayer together. Conversations, sharing, helping, encouraging, rebuking, teaching, and laughing all need to be a part of our engagement with our church family. When we invite people into our church family we are inviting them to a people, not a place. We need to invite them into a family, not a place.

When I read these passages about loving one another and serving one another I cannot help but look at my own life and ask how I am doing in this regard. I did the best I could for many years.  Now I am reflecting on the results. Obviously, I continue walking as faithfully as possible.

Many people have said kind things about me and how I operate but that is not what I am looking for. I want to know what the Lord says about my life. The Lord's judgement is the only one that truly matters. People will see and discern from their own limited perspective. Some will agree with my choices, but others will not. That has to be acceptable.

I hope you can ask yourself questions like this as well. I pray you can explore the inner parts of your heart and learn how you can honor the Lord more in your Christian relationships. 

May you love each other the way Jesus Christ loves you.

John 13:3-5, 14
Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him...If I then, your Lord and teacher have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

John 15:12-13
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.


Taken from reading John 11-15

No comments:

Post a Comment