Picture

Picture

Monday, March 13, 2017

Life and Redemption

Maybe redemption in not an event, but a lifestyle. 

Ruth is a wonderful story of a widow and her mother-in-law, Naomi. They both lost their husbands and were left with nothing in the land of Moab. Upon returning to the land of Israel, Naomi's homeland, the women desperately needed to provide for themselves. Noami sent Ruth to the fields of Boaz, a redeemer of theirs, to glean in the fields. 

Boaz treated Ruth exceptionally well noticing Ruth's character quality and hard work. Naomi advised Ruth to reach out to Boaz and request that he take them in as their redeemer. After clearing the decision through the closest redeemer Boaz took Ruth in as his wife, affectively redeeming her. Naomi and Ruth were then secure in the house of Boaz. 

Boaz was a wealthy and righteous man. He treated people with respect and dignity. Boaz loved the Lord and spoke kindly to his young men and treated his young woman with generosity. In the end, it is through Boaz, the redeemer of Ruth, that the Lord brought David, King of Israel, and eventually Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Redemption.

I look at my life and see patterns of this wonderful event. First, and foremost I look at my life and the mess I was before the Lord redeemed me. I was at the bottom, without hope and headed toward disaster. The Lord redirected me, saved me, and placed me in his loving arms. 

God's people were gracious to me. They taught me what it means to serve the Lord. They showed me the pattern of redemption through their lifestyles.

Maybe redemption is not an event. Maybe it is a lifestyle. God takes the helpless and provides for them. The Lord uses his people to love and support the hopeless. 

Let this be me. I was shown such grace. May I, in response, show the same grace to those who are at the bottom, without hope and headed toward disaster.

Taken from reading Ruth 1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment