Picture

Picture

Friday, March 24, 2017

How to not panic in the midst of conflict.

We see the final result of rebellion against God in Saul. He died. It would be easy to chalk up his death as a natural result of a hard fought battle, but it was much more than that. The Lord warned God's people including King Saul, that if they didn't follow the Lord  closely and obey his voice they would suffer defeat from the people of the land. An so they did.

1 Samuel 31:4-6 Therefore Saul took his own sword and fell upon it. And when his armor-bearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell upon his sword and died with him. Thus Saul died, and his three sons, and his armor-bearer, and all his men, on the same day together.

I look around the world and see conflict, hate, fighting and war. In many ways the fighting has never stopped. It continues on in different forms and fashions with different leaders and nations. Some of them are the same nations.

Some nations enjoy times of peace followed by war. Uprisings occur all over the globe to destroy the peace. I understand some of them but others are needlessly brought about by greed and idolatry. What will end to conflict? What will stop the killing?

Only the manifested presence of God himself will bring an end to this mess. When the Lord returns he will take the reigns and rule with an iron scepter. I long for this day. I long for peace. I long for joy. I long for clarity and loving authority. I long for rest.

I take comfort in knowing that day will come. In my lifetime? I do not know. In my children's lifetime? Still, I am not sure. I do find a level of peace in the knowledge of what is to come, what will be.

May we all embrace this wonderful vision the Lord has given us, even in the midst of conflict around the world.

Taken from Reading 1 Samuel 26-31

No comments:

Post a Comment