Picture

Picture

Monday, April 17, 2017

What defines a person...

What is a person? What defines them? We are born. We grow. We experience. We sin. We repent. We learn. But what are we, ultimately?

An even bigger question is, 'Who defines us?' Who gives us  our identity? 

Romans 5:1 Therefore , since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

So much is packed into this statement. So much sorrow, love, and hope. What were we before we were justified by faith? Enemies of God apparently. Paul spent the first few chapters of this letter explaining how everyone sins and rebels against the God of the universe, therefore is guilty before him.

He inserts the good news into the conversation and all of a sudden a calm appears like warm spring morning. Chaos becomes order. Destruction is mended. War becomes peace. Shame becomes acceptance.

Through faith in Jesus Christ we become beloved children of God. This defines us. We, who once fought against him, now are on his side. He brought us into his family to heal our wounds and raise us up. We were orphans, now we are family.

I take no credit. I make no claim. 

His grace heals. His love comforts. My heart rests. 

May I live out his ways everywhere I go. May I lay down my pride and my entitlement. May I experience what he has brought to me. And may he be glorified. Amen.

Taken from reading Romans 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment