Picture

Picture

Monday, February 27, 2017

Holding On

Hold on to God's promises.

Joshua 14:10-12
'And now, behold, the Lord has kept me alive, just as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, while Israel walked in the wilderness. And now, behold, I am this day eighty-five years old. I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war and for going and coming. So now give me this hill country of which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the Lord said.'

God promised Caleb some land. Caleb grew old and had not yet received the land so he approached Joshua and requested the opportunity to take the land. There are a few very fascinating details to this story I would like to point out.

First, Caleb credits God with his life. He actually says God kept him alive, just as God said he would. What an amazing acknowledgment. He sees the world through lenses of God's provision and sovereignty. 

Second, Caleb is just as strong as an eighty five year old man as he was when he was forty years old. Either God has miraculously restored his body continually, or Caleb has the mind and discipline to keep his activity level high and attitude positive. Maybe it was both, I don't know. Either way, it is amazing this man has remained focused on the vision of the land and remained strong throughout the years.

Third, Caleb does not expect the land to to be given to him without a fight. Caleb acknowledged the presence of many dwellers in the land, including the Anakim. Caleb even realized he may die trying to take the land. He said, 'It may be that the Lord will be with me...'

Caleb took full responsibility for himself, the vision God gave him, and for the fulfillment of the vision. At the same time Caleb fully realized the Lord's sovereignty and providence in the entire scheme of things. 

May I do the same in all of my dealings. 

Taken from reading Joshua 10-15

No comments:

Post a Comment