Picture

Picture

Monday, June 13, 2016

Learn, Apply, Teach




For Ezra had set his heart to study the Law of the Lord, and to do it and to teach his statutes and rules in Israel. - Ezra 7:10


Ezra's heart


Look at Ezra's heart. The Lord used him for good cause. His heart was in precisely the right place in order to be used by the Lord. First, Ezra set his heart to LEARN the Law of the Lord. This is the way Ezra knew what the Lord wanted. He learned the heart of the Lord by reading the Word of the Lord. Second, Ezra set his heart to DO the Law of the Lord. Knowledge was not enough for Ezra. He realized the great responsibility that comes with knowledge; accountability. Thirdly, Ezra set his heart to TEACH the Law of the Lord. Ezra knew the Israelites were exiled because of their rebellion, therefore he wanted to make sure they knew how to return to the Lord and find favor. 


Our Priorities


When I look out in the church and the world I see something that causes some concern for me. I see a massive emphasis on pragmatism. Pragmatism can is marked by, "the doctrines that the meanings of conceptions is to be sought in their practical bearings, that the function of thought is to guide action,and that truth is preeminately to be tested by the practical consequences of belief" (Merriam-Webster). At first glance this appears to be good thing. You may ask, 'Why not assess the truth of something based on it's success in practical application?' The reason it this: success is often defined by short term measurements. 

If I look at the effectiveness of a lifestyle by how much money it makes me then I may come to the conclusion that a godless lifestyle is the best option. If I look at effectiveness as what helps me get a better job then I may conclude that secular humanism is the best life philosophy. If I look at effectiveness as what helps me obtain more power then I will do whatever it takes to make it to the top of the ladder. 

Maybe I am being a little too critical, but I think it is for good cause. You see, the ways of God are clearly lined out in scripture. Among other things He has called us to be holy because he is holy (1 Peter 1:16), to make disciples (Matthew 28:19-20), and that Jesus Christ is the only way to reconcile with God (John 14:6)!

Following the Lord leads to success in the world at times. At other times following the Lord does not lead to worldly success. There is one thing that following the Lord will do every time: Following the Lord will bring eternal success and joy! Eternal joy far outweighs the momentary pleasures of worldly success. 


Your Decision


So what about you? Where are you focusing your life efforts? Are you compromising your passion for the Lord because you value worldly success and pleasure more than eternal success and joy? If you are, I challenge you to turn away from pragmatism and follow the Lord. Your life will be filled with a joy that lasts, though you will face temporary trials to overcome.

Comment below if you need prayer in this area of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment