Picture

Picture

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Fear


Philippians 1:27-30 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

It is interesting how Paul says that the Colossians’ lack of fear is a sign of their opponents’ destruction and the Colossians’ salvation. Here is the question of the day, “What stops us from serving the Lord with passion and boldness?”

One very important thing that tends to hinder us is fear. I know it has for me more than once in my life, especially when I feared being socially alienated for what I stood for. Now before you call me a sissy, take a look at your own life. Have you ever allowed your fear of man to hinder you from being bold and passionate for Christ? Most likely the answer is a huge, “YES.”

But why? Why are we tempted to place the feelings of man over the feelings of God? I think one important factor is the fact that God made us with a deep longing for community! And that is a good thing! It is good to connect with people in real and authentic relationships that help build each other up. But there is a problem when our desire for human community overrides our desire for communion with God. It is at that point when we stop obeying God and begin living to please people.

And what does God think about this? I am thinking that God probably (note the sarcasm) does not like it when we weasel our way out of our mission.

But what is the solution? How do we overcome that fear?

Well I am not sure exactly how it will work for everyone, but I do know a few things. First, the more time you spend with God in prayer and reading his word, the more you will relate to him and understand his perspective (standing firm in one spirit, with one mind). The result of that will be a greater view of all situations, including the situation where you are tempted to shrink back in fear. Also, understanding God’s ultimate plan will help you value his approval more than man’s approval. Second, engaging in real and authentic relationships with believers who you can trust will fill that need for genuine community that God has given you. This will help to alleviate fear of man because you know that you have strength in your community (striving side by side for the faith of the gospel).

Remember 1 John 4:4 “Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”

It should go without saying that this is not the entire answer to the fear struggle, however I know that it has helped me in my journey of faith. I hope it helps you as well…God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment